Makerspaces enable opportunities for students to create, imagine, and build…..what better springboard for that than stories? Stories fuel and ignite the imagination.
Many people associate makerspaces with only STEM-related activities, but literacy and making can go hand in hand. An understanding of transliteracies is key to meeting the needs of our 21st century learners and can enhance any makerspace.
My own entry point into the Maker Movement, was through literacy. In this course, inject some STEAM into your makerspace and explore how reading and writing across multiple platforms can help making and creating more engaging and meaningful to learners. Glean insight and practical tips on using literacy and storytelling to derive meaning from various types of making.
* Increase digital literacy skills through writing & sharing stories across diverse media in your makerspace
* Discover how the Maker Movement and literacy intersect
* Make effective use of technology to enhance teaching and learning in your makerspace
* Meet standards AND transforming your makerspace for 21st century learning
* Have FUN consuming digital content, but more importantly, creating digital content in your makerspace
* Gain exposure to various literacy-based makerspace tools, activities and resources
* Learn ways to inject literacy into your makerspace
* Understand how to enhance maker activities with literacy skills
* Merge storytelling and multiple literacies with the current crop of digital and networking technologies in your makerspace
All educational stakeholders who have a hand in making! Classroom teachers, librarians, or those interested in facilitating maker activities will benefit from enrolling. Participants will walk away with tools to fuel their makerspace planning and programming.
Laura Fleming is an educator in the state of New Jersey with over 20 years experience. She has taught K-12 and is currently the Library Media Specialist at New Milford High School in New Milford, New Jersey. She is also the author of the best-selling book, Worlds of Making: Best Practices for Establishing a Makerspace for Your School. Since her book's launch, Laura has helped school districts across the Nation, plan, create and launch their own makerspaces.